Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Albuquerque, New Mexico 2012

My first trip of 2012!

I flew to Albuquerque, New Mexico at the beginning of March. Well, first I used Craigslist rideshare to find a ride to Portland. From there, I stayed the night at my friend's house, THEN flew to Albuquerque.

Let me start my summation of my trip by saying I love to fly. Love it. However, I was sick my entire trip (and the month before hand), so flying was a little less fun (and a whole lot more painful) this time.

When I arrived in Albuquerque, I called the Hotel Blue (where I was staying), and they sent a shuttle to come pick me up. Check-in was quick and easy, and before long I was unpacked and resting in my nice (especially for the price!) room. I eventually ventured across the street to have dinner by myself at a nice Italian restaurant.

The next day I decided to go exploring. I walked up and down Central Avenue which is a part of historic Route 66. Before long my feet were killing me, and I had blisters. So I returned to my room to rest and patch up my feet. 

The next day I had brunch at an amazing restaurant (organic, local food), and then walked to the Kimo Theater to see the Sleeping Beauty ballet. The show was very good, and after I walked back to my hotel.

The next morning I woke up very sore. My entire body, but mostly my feet, hurt. I had intended to go to the aquarium and zoo, but by the time I got on the bus, missed my stop, walked to the aquarium, I was pretty done. So I called a cab to take me back to the hotel, where I holed up and ordered pizza.

The next day (my last day) I did make it to the zoo. As well as Old Town (a historic, tourist spot) and the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History. I then took the train four hours (round-trip) North to Santa Fe and had dinner there. It was a nice way to end my trip.

The next morning I took the hotel shuttle to the airport and flew home. When the plane started to descend into Portland, my head started to feel like it was going to explode. Yawning did not work, and it was quite painful. When I got off the plane, I headed to the transit station to take the train to my friend's house. I could only partially hear, and that made asking for help buying my ticket a little difficult. But everything worked out fine. I got on the ride train, held my nose and puffed out my cheeks to pop my ears (which I had to do several times, and each time hurt badly), and made it to my destination. 

My dear friends took me to the Greyhound station a few hours later, and I rode the bus to Grants Pass, where my uncle picked me up and took me to my home. Trip concluded.

It was a great experience. I had never been to New Mexico and it was nice to be on my own and have a little vacation from life. Now it's time to plan my next trip! Kidding. Kind of. I already know I'm going to Disneyland in October. ;)

No comments: